It’s been a long, cold winter, so we here at Sunlight Contractors are enjoying the first warm days of spring. New Orleans has a lot to offer this time of year. From Earth Day Festivals at our beautiful parks to Jazz Fest, the pleasant weather and lush scenery beckons to visitors and locals alike.
But locals also know that the mild spring mornings will quickly turn to humid, hot summer afternoons. We’d like to offer a few tips to help you prepare for those days ahead.
1. Check for leaks. If your home has cracks around windows, doors, or chimneys, there’s a chance that your home is in danger of two kinds of leaks: water and air.
Not only will the rain find its way into your home, pooling moisture that can lead to mildew and mold, but the air conditioning will leak out, leaving your home both uncomfortable and unaffordable. Like mama says, “You tryin’ to air condition all God’s creation?”
2. Watch your thermostat. Sure. We all want a respite from the heat outside, but blasting the air conditioner when you turn it on won’t cool your house down any faster. In fact, it’ll only lead to unnecessary expenses. The best way to endure the heat outside while also being energy efficient is to keep your thermostat at the highest level you can tolerate.
It’s much harder to face 90 degree temperatures outside when you’re basking in 50 degree temperatures inside. Keeping the temperatures at more balanced levels will help your internal thermostat make the transition between inside and outside, and it’ll keep your costs lower all summer.
3. Maintain your AC. Leaves and other debris can get caught in your AC throughout the fall and winter, and that has an impact on its ability to function properly. Not only will it struggle to pull and push air through its registers, it may also trap allergens during the spring season. Schedule a regular maintenance to keep your air conditioner and your household healthy.
4. Get an energy audit. An energy audit will provide you with a lot of useful information to help you make your home more energy efficient all year. The blower door used in an energy audit will uncover all of those invisible places where air is escaping from your home, giving you a better idea of why your home is uncomfortable in the summer.
Be sure to hire an auditor who is certified like the crew at Sunlight Contractors. You’re not looking for an estimate; you’re looking for an analysis to help you make informed decisions.
5. Install insulation. Spray foam insulation, with its R Value, is a cutting edge way to improve the energy efficiency, affordability, and comfort of your home. It can provide energy savings of up to 40 percent in any season, and because it’s so effective at keeping the cool air in during the summer, you won’t have to run your AC around the clock to maintain a comfortable temperature. Find out spray foam insulation costs.
There’s no time like the present to update your home’s insulation, and you should definitely take care of insulation prior to installing a new heating or cooling system. You may find that you need a much less machinery due to the efficiency of your home.
These five simple steps can help you save money and enjoy a more comfortable summer, and with a single call to Sunlight Contractors, you’ll also have a team at your service to get your house sealed up and saving energy in no time.
New Orleans Location
1631 Elysian Fields Ave #325, New Orleans, LA 70130
Baton Rouge Location
721 Government St ste 103-216, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
2323 Bainbridge St, Suite #110
Kenner, LA 70062
Sunlight Contractors LLC
1527 Gause Blvd #142, Slidell, LA 70458