You Might Have a Mold Problem
Mold is a common issue in homes, and while it is not always dangerous, it can cause structural damage to your house and mold negatively affect your health. Typically, mold can be found in moist and dark spaces, such as basements and abandoned homes. Areas that have unresolved leakages can also provide favorable conditions for mold to grow.
Dealing with mold as soon as you notice it is crucial in safeguarding your home and your health as well. Conversely, ignoring the obvious as well as subtle signs of mold presence can result in devastating effects later on.
From visibly seeing mold spores to experiencing odd smells in your house, there are various signs that can indicate the presence of mold. Here are warnings that you might be harboring mold in your home:
1.Your wall paint is peeling off or bubbling.
Unusual peeling and bubbling of paint, especially on the bathroom walls and around the window, could mean the area is humid. And since moisture is a precursor for mold, you might want to address the issue as soon as possible. Moisture could result from issues such as too much humidity around the house, leaky windowsill, or poor plumbing.
Finding the source of the moisture is a requisite for preventing or solving the problem of mold. Also, keep an eye on your walls and pay attention to areas that are prone to dampness. Avoid repainting damp walls as a solution as it won’t prevent mold from growing or even spreading further.
2.The floor feels squishy.
If you realize your hardwood floor is developing soft spots, you are probably dealing with mold. If you can access your basement or crawl space, make sure you check for moisture underneath. Left unattended, the mold could spread, which might force you to change the entire floor or at least a large portion of it.
Being cautious of mysterious soft spots is important in catching the growth of mold before it becomes problematic. It is possible to remove it with a mold remover if it has not spread far, but quite a challenge if allowed to affect a significant part of the flooring.
3.Your air conditioner or chimney smells weird.
Mold testing in the air conditioner and heating system can help to identify the cause of nasty and unbearable smells caused by mold. This is especially a common problem with standalone units since they are damp, dark, and are exposed to warm temperatures, creating the right environment for mold growth. Placing air conditioners in the basement during cold seasons can also increase the likelihood of mold growth.
Similarly, moisture can be a home owners worst nightmare, which can also create an environment for mold to thrive, hence the awful smell. Having your air conditioner checked and chimney swept regularly can help prevent mold growth.
4.Your sink or toilet is flooded.
Any occurrence of flooding, whether in the basement or toilet, is sure to lead to mold development. Past flooding, an overflowing bathtub, or even leaking sinks can also create ripe conditions for mold growth. You might also want to be extra cautious if you have experienced flooding in the past, even if there are no visible signs of mold, since mold can grow later after flooding happens.
If you notice you have leaking pipes or sinks, it is advisable to consult a professional to rectify the issue early enough. This can save you the trouble of replacing some items such as floors and sinks in the future.
5.You have breathing or respiratory issues.
If you find yourself experiencing respiratory problems, breathing difficulties, and coughing, the cause could be the presence of mold in your house. Mold spores tend to find their way to your lungs, which has been proven to trigger respiratory problems. The effects can be worse for people who have existing respiratory issues such as asthma.
Additionally, spores can cause you to develop allergic and inflammatory reactions that lead to severe sneezing, shortness of breath, and wheezing. If you suspect the cause of your breathing problems is mold, have an expert address it promptly and be sure to schedule a doctor’s appointment for a medical assessment.
6.Your eyes are watery and stinging.
Some people may experience allergic reactions characterized by itchy and watery eyes, and nasal congestion. It is recommendable that if you notice the development of one or multiple of these symptoms, check if they kick in when you are in certain rooms. This can help in targeting the specific areas where mold removal services are necessary.
In addition to watery eyes, you might experience a tingling skin that itches and develops a burning sensation when you come into contact with mold. Some noticeable effects include scaly and itchy skin, and the symptoms can persist if not dealt with. Seeking medication attention, drying your clothes properly, and not allowing dump towels to accumulate in the bathroom can be a viable solution to this issue.
The presence of mold in your home can have adverse effects not only on your walls and flooring but also on your health. Remedying the issue of mold growth by seeking help from an expert can help you avoid the costs that come with repairs, replacements, and medical bills.